Over the past few weeks you have been hearing from Cheryl regularly but not from me. Yes, we are a husband and wife team, but I am sure it looks more like a wife centric business with me just being a garnish (you know, to make it look good).
So, I decided to stop working on websites for a few minutes and crawl out from behind my computer and introduce myself. Oh, the sweet smell of fresh air!
Before I get to my personal introduction, let me first introduce Wedding Industry Rescue.
If you haven’t already noticed, we believe that your business should be a reflection of your personality. This is how you will attract the elusive “Perfect Client” that you want to work with instead of feeling like you have to work with everyone who calls or contacts you.
That’s the worst, feeling like you have to work with someone just because you need the money. And we all know that after a few meetings, phone calls and emails you start to resent your new client and the only thing you can think about is “When is this event going to be over?”
I am happy to announce that you have the ability right now to work with the people you actually like. I mean you will be spending the next 6-18 months with this person so why not enjoy it. Am I right?
Here’s the catch.
You are your business!
You are a unique person and you deserve a unique business. You don’t want to be like everyone else and just fit in, do you? (If so, change that sh#it now!) Neither should your business. And this is how you will get more business, more money, more joy, and be true to who you are.
In order to accomplish this you will need to inject your personality into your business. This means you are going to feel completely exposed to your competitors but will become more approachable by your ideal client.
F#@k what your competitors think about this change! Deep down they are jealous and wish they had the balls to do what you are doing. Besides, they weren’t sending you business anyway.
However, once your business becomes an extension of you, they will be sending you business. The funny thing is they won’t even realize they are doing it. How you ask?
Because you will be you, different and fun, and they will be just like everyone else who offers the same old crap.
I know, I know. You are wondering how to do this.
First, you need to open up and expose your true personality. Who you are. What you like. What you don’t like. Once you have done this you can start building a real relationship with your clients.
They begin to trust you. They see you as a real person. A friend. Someone who is there to work with them, helps them, and not just sells them something.
And you suddenly become comfortable in your new “business skin”.
I know, I know, you are saying, “It’s easy to write this and tell me what to do, but have you actually done it?”
Well, in the spirit of letting you get to know me, I will start first.
At the end of this I hope I can learn more about you and your newly revealed personality.
Ok, grab a cup of coffee or whatever adult beverage you want to drink and let’s start this adventure. A bathroom break is optional, but suggested.
Now, let’s get personal!
Hi, I’m, Shea Bailey with Wedding Industry Rescue.
Here are 43 things that you didn’t know about me before now, probably wouldn’t have known, and maybe not even cared about, but I will tell you anyways.
- I am originally from a small ass town in Tennessee called Celina. It was once a thriving summer destination town because of beautiful Dale Hollow Lake but has taken a steep decline. One day I would love to help the town grow in some way. I don’t have a f@#king clue how, but I want to help.
- Funny, growing up I couldn’t wait to get out of every small town I lived in and now I would love to go back!
- I am related to Daniel Boone! This is my only claim to someone significant in history so I will take it and flaunt it! I secretly like to think I can shoot like him.
- I am an only child. I loved this when I was young because I didn’t have to compete with siblings but as I get older I wish I had a brother or sister.
- My father and grandfather both owned a small town grocery store. I love and appreciate small country grocery stores and enjoy just walking around looking inside them. It brings back fond memories.
- During closing time at the store, a Piggly Wiggly, I used to roller skate around the store. I knocked over several grocery carts and even ran into several old women.
- My love of travel started when I was able to visit Hong Kong and China when I was just 15. I will travel just about anywhere depending on the political climate. Remember that, we will travel for speaking engagements.
- I am terrified of heights. However, in order to try to get over my fear of heights I learned how to rock climb in college and ended up teaching others. What are you doing to get over any of your fears?
- I have broken or fractured all ten of my fingers while playing high school football.
- Also, I dislocated my pinkie toe while playing football on the beach, in front of my future high school football coach. It was slightly embarrassing.
- A dream of mine is to get my pilot’s license. Bet you didn’t expect this one after reading #8.
- I am fascinated with people being able to survive in the woods with next to nothing. I would love to go to one of those survival schools for a week. Don’t worry; I’m not one of those “Survivalist” that the media tries to portray as crazy. Although, I am an entrepreneur and business owner. I guess I am crazy and a survivalist to an extent. That’s what we do isn’t it. Help our business survive on next to nothing until we have created a solid foundation from which to build upon!
- I joined the Tennessee Army National Guard my senior year of high school. I did it mainly so I wouldn’t have to have a full time job during college. However, it almost turned into a full time job because I missed having to go to the first Gulf War by one day. Ironically, it was my mom’s idea to join and then my dad jumped all over it because he thinks everyone should spend at least 2 years in the military. I agree with him now. It develops character, self-discipline, self-reliance, and a tough skin. Something we need more of these days! Oh yeah, I was a Gunner on an M-1 tank. It was awesome!!!
- Part of me wishes I had made a career out of the Army. And then I wake up.
- My favorite TV shows are The Big Bang Theory, The New Girl, How I met Your Mother, and Shark Tank.
- I admit it! I like getting manicures and pedicures. It’s just so damn relaxing.
- I have a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Chemistry from Maryville College in Maryville, Tn. And somehow I ended up in the wedding industry. That’s a story for later.
- After college, I lived in Venezuela for a year with a college friend of mine (he was a biology major as well). We worked at a local university doing research and actually wrote a paper that was published and presented at a symposium in Venezuela. I wish I had a copy of that paper now just to prove it to friends!
- On spring break in Daytona Beach I got my ear pierced while drinking at a bar. I woke up the next day and promptly took it out because I knew my dad would jerk it out as soon as he saw it.
- My dream car is an Aston Martin. Just like James Bond.
- Speaking of James Bond, I secretly fanaticize that I am Bailey, Shea Bailey. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t sound the same.
- We have a chicken named Reagan. She is the most productive member of our family. We get one egg every single day without fail!
- I realized it was time to leave Venezuela when we were caught up in a riot in a small town. We were forced off of the bus we were traveling on and spent the next 30 minutes dodging bullets (they were rubber bullets, but hell, they were bullets just the same) and running from teargas canisters. It was scary as hell when it happened but a great story and my Army training kicked in. Ask me sometime.
- My family still doesn’t completely understand what I do for a living or why I do it. I mean, why anyone would have a degree in Biology and then work in the wedding industry.
- I once had a pet Iguana named Julio. He was mean as f@#k!
- On my 25th birthday I got a tattoo while drinking on Beal St. in Memphis. Don’t ask me to see it please.
- They say that 75% of women are not happy with their wedding proposal. I am sorry to confess that Cheryl falls into that stat. Absolutely no one knows how I proposed and it will stay that way!
- I am an obsessive researcher. If I have a business idea or just find something interesting I will spend hours and hours and hours on the internet researching. I consider this my mental exercise and it drives Cheryl crazy.
- I have moved 20 times since I came back from Venezuela in 1995. Every move was business related. Here is everywhere I have lived since then: Celina, TN; Tampa, FL; Miami, FL; Louisville, KY; Bowling Green, KY; Jacksonville, FL; Dallas, TX; San Francisco, CA; Portland, OR; Oceanport, NJ; Baltimore, MD; Washington D.C.; West Palm Beach, FL; Stuart, FL; Knoxville, TN; Louisville, KY (yes again); Cookeville, TN; San Antonio, TX; Canyon Lake, TX; Kyle, TX (just outside of Austin, TX). I don’t plan on moving anytime soon.
- I lived a ½ mile from the Pentagon in D.C. on 9/11 and was home when it was hit. Again, another story for later.
- I am an addict…..to marketing and entrepreneurship.
- I always wanted to go skydiving but I am terrified of taking that first step. Again with the fear of heights.
- I embarrass Cheryl and the kids with my corny jokes. Lucky for me they have to laugh and put up with it.
- Growing up I hated to read and write. Now, I don’t have enough time to write and read everything I want.
- However, I did read 25 books last year. All of them marketing related.
- I can remember people’s faces I met years ago but I can’t remember the name of someone I met 2 minutes ago. Don’t be annoyed if I can’t remember your name. It’s not that I don’t like you.
- Cheryl is my 2nd wife. I am so happy I found her. We are perfect for each other and literally finish each other’s thoughts and sentences. I wouldn’t be where I am today without her!
- I am terrified of speaking in front of large groups but I know it is necessary in order to get where I want to go in life.
- I believe in capitalism and charity. That is the only way we will dig our country and ourselves out of any hole we are in. Yes, I am politically conservative.
- I am Christian. Thanks to Cheryl, I was recently baptized.
- Oops, did I just say that? I normally don’t break the rule of discussing religion and politics. Although, we are trying to get to know each other, aren’t we?
- I truly enjoy helping people with their business. If I could do it for free I would in a heartbeat!
- And finally, every day I feel like a failure in some way. Not because I actually failed at something but because I know what I am capable of doing. And I didn’t do it!
If you actually made it this far I want to sincerely thank you.
Also, I am going to attribute it to the bathroom break and triple shot of espresso you drank before starting my list. Hopefully, you know a little about me now. Sh#t, Cheryl may have actually learned something about me from this blog.
As painful and somewhat embarrassing as it was to reveal some of this to you, I actually feel somewhat relieved. I think writing this blog was more therapeutic for me than informative for you. I had only allotted myself 1 hour of writing time today and I am currently way past that, but it has been worth it.
Well, this has been my grand introduction to you. It may have gained me new friends and repelled others. Either way, it has accomplished the one thing I wanted and the one thing we believe here at Wedding Industry Rescue and that is to be yourself and inject your colorful personality into your business. Your personality will act like a magnet and attract the people you actually want to do business with. For those of you who may have been offended for any reason about what I have revealed today, all I have to say is good luck and please find someone you connect with personally. You will be the perfect client for them.
Now, I have to get back to building the websites I left before writing this blog.
If you feel inspired to open up, please tell me something unique about you by leaving a comment below or going to our Facbook page.
Let’s start building a relationship now and we can all grow together!